Well, it’s hot in London. So hot, that it reminds me of the last time it felt this way – to me at least – and that’s back in the 1970’s. So, what am I to do but revert back to a favourite from then, Prawn Cocktail. There is a reason it is still going strong today; cold crunchy lettuce, sharp hit of the Marie Rose sauce, and the beautiful taste of the sea from the prawns. This is an absolute treat when the weather is like it is. Silky, cold and a reminder of summers. Eat with some toasted crusty bread, serve with lemon on the side. Feeds four.
- 250g cooked peeled prawns (if you cook your own remember to de-vein)
- one gem lettuce heart and some of the green, chopped in mouth sized pieces
- 2 heaped teaspoons of tomato ketchup
- 4 tablespoons of mayo
- squirt of lemon juice
- good dash of tabasco, taste before you add more!
- sprinkle of salt and paprika
- Shread the lettuce and put in your glasses.
- Mix the 4 tablespoons of mayo with the 2 teaspoons of ketchup and the shake of tabasco. Give it all a good mix, then add some salt to taste and mix it all again.
- Toss in the cooked prawns, dash of lemon juice and fold over again.
- Pile onto the lettuce and sprinkle with the paprika.