Saturday morning’s a great time for brunch. Up later than normal, too early to bother with a wait for lunch, but looking for something more substantial to see you through the shopping or the rest of the day until dinner. Sometimes there are left over chips from the fish and chip supper the night before. Never throw them away, they cook up well and with some added chorizo, onion, garlic and a poached egg they make the morning go with a bit of sunshine. Serves two.
- Last nights chips, sliced down into thick matchsticks
- 1/2 a medium chorizo sausage (cut into matchsticks)
- clove of garlic finely chopped
- 2 shallots or one yellow onion finely sliced
- tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg per person (poached)
- Preheat the oven to 200. Water into a pan, heat and get ready to poach the eggs.
- Slice the chips and put on a baking tray and into the oven for about 5-8 minutes.
- Chopped chorizo and sliced onion into a big saucepan fry until softened and the chorizo oil is being released – add a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the garlic and stir.
- Poach the egg.
- Chips out and into the chorizo mix, stir everything together in the saucepan, then divided onto warmed plates.
- Add the poached egg to the top.