Rich Shortcrust Pastry
Very cold water to mix
170g plain flour
A pinch of salt
100g cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 egg yoke.
- Place a jug of water in the fridge.
- Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl
- Rub in the butter until it resembles course breadcrumbs but don’t over combine.
- Mix in the egg yoke with 2 tbsp of water and add to the mixed butter
- Mix into a firm dough, at the start with your knife and then with your hand. If it seems too dry add a little more water, but don’t make it too damp. The press the lot out into rough circle.
- Chill it wrapped for a bout 30 minutes. When you roll it out let is settle and relax before you use it for baking or it is liable to shrink.