If, like me, you prefer to make your own Thai curry paste, here is a great recipe that we use at home and because it all gets blitzed in the processor there is hardly any chopping.
- 6 medium-hot green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 5cm/2in piece of galangal or ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chopped lime zest
- 1 tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- ½ tsp ground black peppercorns
Slice the lemongrass finely. Put it in a food processor with all the remaining curry paste ingredients and whiz to a thick paste, making sure that you push the mixture down from time to time with a spatula. when you have a nice paste consistency then transfer the lot to a glass or china dish, or a jar if you have one, and cover tightly, otherwise it will make everything in the fridge smell of curry, and refrigerate.