This is the recipe for the perfect roasties. Now it uses hot fat, and if you have to be warned that it burns then, really, you should not be in the kitchen with sharp knives all by yourself. Feeds six.
- Pre heat your oven to 425f, 220c or Gas 6
- 4oz – 110g goose fat (or lard)
- 4lb of potatoes – preferably Desiree or King Edwards
- Preheat the oven and put the fat in the roasting tray and sit it on the highest shelf.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into even sizes, put them in a saucepan and cover with boiling water from a kettle. Add the salt and simmer the lot for about ten minutes. When you test them they should yield gently to a knife and the outsides should become fluffy when stoked with the knife.
- Drain the potatoes, put the lid back on and give it a good shake making potatoes fluffy which helps make them crispy.
- Get the hot tray out of the oven and put it on a medium heat on the hob. Lower the potatoes into the tray and baste them with the hot fat.
- Put the tray back in the oven on the highest shelf and leave them for up to 50 minutes. Don’t worry about turning them they will cook on their own.
- Sprinkle with crushed sail and serve them straightaway. You can reheat them later in the evening if there are any left over.